1. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST on Feb. 28, 2011.
2. Completely fill out all required data fields on the registration form and submit the form.
The article portion of the registration form must consist of an original article between 500 and 1,000 words on legal issues that affect immigration in the US and/or abroad.
Each article must contain solely the entrant’s original ideas and language. Your submission of the article and entry form is your guarantee that you are the sole author and copyright holder of the article. Please submit only one entry per person. Entries that are not the original work of the entrant, are illegible or incomplete will not be accepted.
Articles must be appropriate for posting on Legal Language Services’ website. Obscene, inappropriate or otherwise questionable content will not be considered. Legal Language Services retains sole discretion as to what constitutes inappropriate content.
Legal Language Services is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions that occur on account of entering this contest. If, for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, Legal Language Services reserves the right in their sole and unequivocal discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, delay or suspend the contest. Entries which have been tampered with or altered are void. In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning entry, the holder of the winning e-mail account will be declared the winner. All entries become the property of Legal Language Services.
3. Electronic versions of articles should be submitted using the online entry form.
Hard copies must be mailed along with the entry form to:
Legal Language Services
18 John St.
New York, NY 10038
4. Winner Selection: Starting on or about March 1, 2011, a panel of judges will judge all eligible entries based on effectiveness in illustrating entrant’s interpretation of the legal issues affecting immigration. Winners will be determined by the article’s subject matter treatment, scholarship, analysis, accuracy, creativity, style and grammar. The Grand Prize Winner, the Second Place Winner and the Third Place Winner will be announced on or about April 15, 2011.
5. Prizing: Grand Prize — One (1) Grand Prize Winner will be awarded $500.00. Additionally, one (1) Second Place Prize and (1) Third Place Prize consisting of $100.00 each and subject to the same terms and conditions of the Grand Prize may be awarded. The receipt of a Grand Prize by Grand Prize Winner and the receipt of a Second or Third Prize by a Runner-Up Winner is subject to the following condition that the Grand Prize Winner and Runner-Up Winners must sign all required legal documents provided by Legal Language Services.
6. Eligibility: Contest is open to students currently enrolled in an accredited law school of the country in which they reside. VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Employees of Legal Language Services and its affiliates are not eligible. By participating in this contest, entrants agree to be bound by these official rules and by the decisions of Legal Language Services whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this contest.
7. All interpretations of the rules and decisions by Legal Language Services are final. Legal Language Services reserves the right, in their sole and unequivocal discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds or believes to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the website; to be acting in violation of the official rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. Arrangements for the fulfillment of the Grand Prize, Second Prize and Third Prize will be made by Legal Language Services. Legal Language Services reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the Grand Prize or Second and Third Prizes, for any reason that Legal Language Services deems necessary. All prizes are non-transferable. Upon receipt of any part of the prize, prize recipients are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. All expenses, including taxes, on receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner.
9. Contestants hereby agree to submit their entries under the following terms and conditions: (i) that Legal Language Services may use any ideas, concepts, material, in whole or in part, contained in an entry; (ii) that all materials submitted become the property of Legal Language Services and will not be returned; (iii) that all materials submitted are free from any lien or claim by anyone; (iv) Entrants have obtained all rights, permissions and licenses necessary to use the entries for any purpose; (v) that no entry or any part thereof infringes any trademark or copyright or otherwise violates anyone’s right of privacy or publicity; and (vi) Entrants indemnify and hold harmless Legal Language Services from any claims, suits, losses, damages and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise from any breach of the following conditions. They further agree, if chosen as Grand Prize Winner, Second or Third Prize Winner, to assign all right, title and interest in all material and agree to sign such documentation as is necessary to formalize this assignment.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, entrants agree that their entry may be used by Legal Language Services in whole or in part for any purpose whatsoever without compensation to non-prize winner entrants or without additional compensation to the winning entrants.
10. No purchase is necessary to enter.