Lost Your I-94 Card? How to Get a Replacement

By Katherine at Legal Language
Posted on 11/24/2010
In Immigration

Form I-94 may be just a small slip of paper, but it’s an important one — and if you’ve lost it, you’ll need an I-94 replacement.

The form is critical to identifying your status in the United States, and numerous problems can arise without one. If the form is lost or stolen, there are steps to obtain an I-94 replacement that will make life in the US a lot easier.

What Is the I-94 Card?

Form I-94, often referred to as simply an I-94 or an I-94 card, is the Arrival-Departure Record issued to nonimmigrants when they enter the United States.

The I-94 card is basically proof that a nonimmigrant entered the United States legally. Upon a nonimmigrant’s arrival in the United States, an immigration officer will fill out the I-94. The information on the little white card includes the date of entry, visa classification and the date the nonimmigrant’s status will expire. The I-94 is then stapled into the nonimmigrant’s passport book.

How Do You Get a Replacement I-94 Card?

If your I-94 card is lost, stolen or seriously damaged, you can apply to replace it by filing Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Arrival-Departure Document.

As with most immigration forms, USCIS requires supporting documents to be filed along with Form I-102. You are required to submit a photocopy of the original I-94 card. If you do not have a copy, you can submit a copy of the biographic information page from your passport and a copy of the page indicating admission as claimed, or other evidence of your admission into the United States.

If you cannot provide evidence of your admission — for example, if your entire passport was stolen — you will need to submit an explanation stating why you cannot give any of the above evidence, along with a photocopy of evidence of your identity and copies of any evidence in your possession to substantiate your claim. If your I-94 card and/or passport was stolen, you should submit a copy of the police report.

If you are filing Form I-102 because you were not given an I-94 card when you legally entered the United States, but you now require an I-94 for another application you are filing, you must submit copies of any evidence in your possession to verify your legal admission to the US.

You also may file Form I-102 if you wish to receive a replacement I-94 card with corrected information on it — for example, if the immigration officer spelled your name wrong on the initial I-94 card.

The nonrefundable filing fee for Form I-102 is $320. The fee is waived, however, if you are trying to obtain a replacement I-94 card because of an error by a USCIS officer.

What Happens if You Don’t Get an I-94 Replacement?

While you may not encounter any resistance if you leave the United States without an I-94 card, you may be questioned extensively by immigration officers if you return to the US.

Additionally, without an I-94 replacement, it will be difficult to accept new employment, renew your visa, change your status or extend your stay in any way. So if anything happens to your I-94 card, it’s important to get a replacement right away!

Be aware that soon, form I-94 will become paperless, and you won’t need to worry about getting an I-94 replacement.

36 Responses to “Lost Your I-94 Card? How to Get a Replacement”

  1. Rich Says:

    In your opinion, how difficult would it be to obtain a replacement I-94 card if someone had lost their original passport and I-94 card? If they had only the original flight details and a letter from the airline to confirm their arrival in the US, would that be enough information for Immigration to release a replacement? I realize that no two situations are the same and that the outcome is not black and white but based on your experience, would this be sufficient enough to obtain a replacement? And would this be unlikely to set off any red flags? Sincerely, Rich

  2. Diane at Legal Language Says:

    Rich, I’m sorry but we cannot provide advice of this kind online. As you said, no two situations are alike – please contact USCIS or another immigration professional. Good luck!

  3. Sham Says:

    What if a kid, about the age of 5 or 6 enters the U.S. from the Marshall Islands with an i-94 card stapled in his or her passport, then sends it back to renew it, but then receives it without any i-94 card in it… is there any problem? May you please e-mail me if you have any advice or suggestions.
    Sincerely, Shamory

  4. Kaytie at Legal Language Says:

    Hello Sham,

    Unfortunately we are unable to give legal advice online. Please contact USCIS for specific answers to your situation.

    Good luck!
    Kaytie at Legal Language

  5. keigo Says:

    I m a student from japan.

    Unfortunately, I lost I-94 and Immigration said to me. It takes 2 to 3 mouth. I need I-94 form as fast as possible because I couldn’t get driver’s license until show it. They don’t accept copy.
    so, how do I get I-94 fastest way ?

    Thank you

  6. Kaytie at Legal Language Says:

    Hi Keigo,

    Thanks for reading! However, LLS can only offer legal information, not legal advice. An immigration attorney would best be able to help you with this.

    Good luck!
    Kaytie at Legal Language

  7. Fay Says:

    i entered US before the day that paperless I-94 effective, can I still check out my entry border card information online?

  8. Preeti Says:

    Hi, I lost my passport along with my I-94 and US visa. I came here on B1 visa. I lodged a complaint with the police and took the report and applied for a duplicate passport. I am returning back to India end of May or early June whereas my I-94 was stamped till September(6 months). In this case do I have to apply for I-94? Also, I have to apply for a visa after going back to my country. Will it be a problem if I din’t apply for a replacement I-94 before leaving?

    Please suggest!

  9. Jose Says:

    I’m an L1 and lost my I-94 on my last arrival to the US – Aug 2012, I filed my I-102 and get a new I-94 but without an expiration date on it. I need the I-94 with an expiration date on it to fill my I-9.

    What can I do?

  10. Imranali Says:

    If I don’t have passport no driving lisence no green card how to apply green card

  11. Elizabeth Says:

    Imranali –

    A driver’s license is not required to apply for a green card. However, a birth certificate and other forms of identification may be required as part of the application process. Contact the USCIS through their national hotline – 1-800-375-5283 – or your local field office to find out what documents may be required.

    Thanks for reading!

    Elizabeth at Legal Language

  12. Kyla Says:

    I’m a student from Vietnam on the F1 visa.

    Unluckily, I lost my I-94 card on my last arrival to the US in May 15th 2013. I need the I-94 for required the I-539 so is there anyway that i can get both of them as the same time. And is it possible for me to apply the I-539 without the I-94?

    Thank you very much.

  13. Elizabeth at Legal Language Says:

    Kyla –

    For instructions on replacing your lost I-94 form:

    To request a change to your F-1 status, your application must include the I-94. For more information on filing the I-539: http://1.usa.gov/tExYy

    Thank you for reading,

    Elizabeth at Legal Language

  14. Nhat Ho Says:

    I’ve been in the US for almost 10 years and currently on H1b. My paper I-94 was stolen but since USCIS already moved to paperless I-94, do I still need to have it replaced? I’m not planning on leaving the US anytime soon and more than likely will be pursuing Green Card in the next 2 years. Thank you.

  15. Elizabeth at Legal Language Says:

    Nhat –

    For information on replacing your I-94: I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document

    If you want to retrieve just your I-94 admission number, you can request it from this site: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

    Thank you for reading,

    Elizabeth at Legal Language

  16. Marcia Says:

    Hi Elizabeth
    I lost my passport and my I-94 how do i go about getting my I-94 if i dont have my passport number

  17. Mamadou L Bah Says:

    I file for an I-102, a replacement for my I-94, because I lost not only my passport but also my I-94, but INS could not locate it. They ask me for more proof like my passport. I wrote them back and said that is missing too. I send them a copy of the receipt of my ID Card, since that was the only thing I had with my name on it, yet they wrote me back and said they couldn’t find it. So I call them and they said to contact the Department of State that they don’t have a copy of my I-94. So is it INS or Department of State? Thanks for your help


    Sir, please advice me on what to do.I came to USA from Mexico brother last year and i was realize on parole on Sept last year.my I 94 is going to be due by march 26th of this year , i have try all my best to extend it buy i could not find good response from all the immigration offices i went to in Dallas.

    Another problem now is that i have lost the i 94 card now what are mine going to do about this.Kindly give me advice on this matter

  19. yazmin Says:

    I came to us in 2011 and i lost my passport, us visa and my i94 there is a way i can get a copy of the i94 still? Is alot if money to pay and not to get anything can you give me and advise?

  20. Kaytie at Legal Language Says:

    Hello Yazmin,

    As stated in the above article, if you cannot submit a copy of your passport or I-94 card, you must submit an explanation of why you cannot do so, along with a copy of your identification. There is a fee of $320 to submit the I-102.

    However, please keep in mind that this is general information, and you should contact USCIS for the most up-to-date information on fees, forms, and what you should do in your specific case.

    Good luck!

    Kaytie at Legal Language

  21. muslima Says:


  22. nadiani camara Says:


  23. nadiani camara Says:

    ToI need my I 94 I feel so miserable time I 94

  24. Tana Kotton Says:


    THANG Q for you cooperation …..

  25. Disa Says:

    So my husband just recently lost his i94 , How do i get the replacement form ?

  26. Kaytie at Legal Language Says:

    Hello Disa,

    USCIS has downloadable copies of all their forms. The I-102 can be found here: http://www.uscis.gov/i-102

    Good luck,

    Kaytie at Legal Language

  27. cindy Says:

    Sham, it happened to my niece so contact the office back home. They should have it if they room the passport.

  28. cindy Says:

    If they took it

  29. priscilla Says:

    when i 9yeard old, comes usa,
    so, i don’t have any passport number.
    i’m with my fathers passport comes together.

    please let me know.
    like my case how can i do?

  30. FERNANDO Says:

    Hi, I am Cuban and I came in to US. en January 2008, I cross the border by El Paso Texas and the officer gave me the I-94 for The Cuban Adjusting Law, right now I am a US Citizen but I am applying for work in the US government facilities and they are requesting me the I-94 by the Selective Services and I don’t have the I-94, I was reaching on the CBP website and they don’t have any information before 5 years from now, How can I get a copy of my I-94. Thanks

  31. arlene Says:

    I came to d US in august 2013 and theofficer didnt give me back my i94 …….and now i need it to do something very important. ………..do i have to pay to get one but my stamp is on my passport

  32. sujin Says:

    I lost my i94 so I retrieved i94
    And then it is written ” Duplicate” on the i94.
    But when I get driver’s license, they rejected it because i94 is not original. How do I do?

  33. Keichy Says:

    I lost my passport with my I-94 inside and I only have the copy of my I-94 and copy of my passport can they except copy because i don’t have the original.

  34. rudy Says:

    I recently applied for a i94 how long will it take for them to send me back a replacement?

  35. How To Get I-94 Pennsylvania | secret pick up method Says:

    […] Lost Your I-94 Card? How to Get a Replacement | Legal … – Form I-94 may be just a small slip of paper, but it’s an important one — and if you’ve lost it, you’ll need an I-94 replacement. The form is critical to … […]


    My I.94 was taken out of my passport at ATLANTA AIRPORT, 2011. want to get one .hhoe long it takes to when I applied for one thanks…

Leave a Reply