By: Katherine On: December 8, 2016 In: Uncategorized Comments: 0
Spread the love

If your green card is set to expire, don’t worry — US Citizenship and Immigration Services now allows US permanent residents to renew their green cards online!

There are several benefits to filing online, and the process is fairly simple — if you qualify for it.

Who Is Eligible to Renew a Green Card Online?

Most green cards are valid for 10 years. Before the expiration date, you are required to renew it by submitting Form I-90, Application for Green Card Replacement to USCIS. This is the same form that you file if your green card is lost or stolen.

If your conditional two-year green card is expiring, you are not eligible to renew your green card online. You must follow the process of removing the conditions on your green card, which involves filing a separate form, the I-751.

You will not be able to renew your green card online if you are applying for a waiver of the filing fee or if you are requesting that your case be expedited.

The Online Green Card Renewal Process

The process to renew your green card online is easy. Simply go to the USCIS website and log into the e-Filing system. You will be prompted to create a username and password if you haven’t already. Then select Form I-90 and fill in all the required information.

If you choose to e-File, you must pay the required filing fee online by entering a credit or debit card number or submitting your bank account information. Many applicants find this much more convenient than submitting payment with a paper form, as USCIS accepts only checks with paper filings.

After You Submit Your Application Online

After you submit your e-Filing, make sure you check the screen for a confirmation page to make sure that USCIS has received your application. Your case will be assigned a confirmation number, but that will be sent to you in the mail within 10 days of your online green card renewal.

Additionally, you will receive a notice in the mail that will tell you the date of your scheduled appointment for biometrics and photographs at a USCIS Application Support Center near you.

You must bring your biometrics appointment notice and photo identification to your biometrics appointment. Types of acceptable photo identification include a passport, driver’s license, government-issued ID card or military photo ID card. You also must bring your previous green card or other evidence of permanent residence.

Once your biometrics are captured and your photo taken, all you have to do is sit back and wait for your new green card to arrive!

Consequences of Not Renewing Your Green Card

If your green card has already expired, you are still eligible to renew your green card online, but make sure you renew it as soon as possible. Per immigration law you will not lose your permanent resident status immediately. It is important to have a valid green card on you at all times, however, especially if you are traveling or must present identification for any other reason.

If you do not renew your green card, you could experience difficulties in obtaining employment or re-entering the United States after you travel abroad. Be sure to apply for a renewal of your green card before you travel, and bring with you any temporary documentation you have received regarding your online application.

Spread the love
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments